of Japanese visceral surgery
Dr. Harutoyo Omori, the first professor of
the Department of Surgery II, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu
University, took his post at the Fukuoka School of Medicine
in 1879 when the school was founded. He was a pioneer of surgery
for internal organs in Japan. One of his contributions was
to introduce 100 cases of abdominal operations in his publication
entitled "Description of Heart and Abdominal Surgery-100
Cases" in 1886. In 1888 when the Fukuoka School of Medicine
was abolished and Fukuoka Prefectural Hospital was established,
he was appointed as its first director.
Also, working with Dr. Sankichi Sato and Dr. Yoshinori Tashiro,
he endeavored to organize the 1st Annual Congress of Japan
Surgical Society in 1899. Also he served as the 7th president
of the society in 1906. In 1903, when Fukuoka Medical College
was founded, he was appointed president as well as the director
of its hospital, and held the chair in the Department of Surgery.
In 1904, a two-department structure was established for the
discipline, with the other department's chair filled by Dr.
Hayari Miyake. Dr. Omori laid the foundation for Kyushu University
Faculty of Medicine before retiring as president of the Medical
College in 1909. His statue was erected in his honor in the
Alumni Garden on the college campus, and his distinguished
service is still highly admired.
Written by Keizo Sugimachi,
Professor Emeritus of the Department of Surgery and Science
(formerly Department of Surgery II)